I first discovered I had a diastasis recti after the birth of my first baby. It wasn’t until several months after the birth of my second baby, however, that I finally concluded I needed to do something to correct it. For several reasons that I outlined in my halfway point review, I decided the MuTu System was best choice for me. This is my final review of the program. Find out how it worked for me!
Before we dive in, make sure you read my first post to get the scoop on how I first discovered I had a diastasis recti, the problems it created for my body, and the reasons I decided to try the MuTu System. You will want to read that first, if you haven’t already!
** I received free access to the MuTu System 12-Week program in exchange for this review. I am also an affiliate for the program. All opinions are my own, however, and were not influenced by my participation in the program. There may also be other affiliate links scattered throughout the post.**
What is the MuTu System?
The MuTu System is a comprehensive diet and exercise program designed to strengthen your core, improve pelvic floor function, and help you achieve a strong, fit body. The goal is to help moms lose the “mummy tummy,” regardless of how long ago they had their babies. The main objective is to help correct a diastasis recti, but it also targets pelvic floor function, overall core health, and weight loss through healthy food choices.
The 12 Week Program that I have been doing includes:
- Highly instructive coaching videos
- Instructional demos
- Real-time workout and exercise videos
- Downloadable PDFs
- Support & Community
To learn more about the program visit The MuTu System Homepage.
Benefits of the MuTu System
Here are some of the results the system claims to offer:
- Stronger core
- Improved pelvic floor function (No more leaks! More enjoyment during intimate activities!)
- Strong, fit body
- Weight loss
- A body that looks, feels, and functions better
- Better body alignment
- Education about body processes and health
- A new way to think about food
- Greater body confidence!
Here are some of the things that I really liked about the program:
**Update! MUTU System recently revamped their program, so a few things may have changed. My review is based on the version that I completed.
- It was very easy to fit into my schedule! The daily exercises/stretches are less than 10 minutes, and the workouts are about 23 minutes long. Even with two kids, a job, and a blog, I can fit that in!
- It is a comprehensive & holistic program. This was my favorite part of the program, and what really set it apart from simply googling “diastasis exercises.” I didn’t just learn a few moves to try – I learned about posture, alignment, food, muscles, and how the various parts of my body work together. It changed the way I look at food and my overall health.
- The format is convenient. I wasn’t sure about the online program at first, but it worked well for me. It was nice to be able to access the program from anywhere, and I downloaded all the videos and PDFs so I could watch/read them later without worrying about your Internet connection.
- The exercises and workouts are guided. As I said in my first post, I do much better with a video or live class than I do with a list of pictures or instructions, so this was a big selling point for me.
- The program includes a printable calendar. I love visuals and anything that helps me track my progress! The calendar was really helpful for keeping me on track and on schedule. I also loved the 20-page food program guide. It started me on the path to healthier, cleaner living.
- You don’t need a lot of equipment. Though it does require a few pieces of equipment, I was able to make do with pieces I already had on hand. If you’re starting from scratch, you will need to pick up a few things, but it’s not much, and it won’t cost you much money OR space.
- Included in the program is access to a private forum for community and support. I never did use it, but I think it is a great added bonus!
- It’s not a get-skinny-quick program, and it requires a commitment of time and energy. I don’t actually consider these “cons”, as I don’t believe in programs that promise fast results with little to no effort. But I want to be honest with you that my results did not come overnight, and they certainly didn’t come without work and lifestyle changes.
- You will need some equipment. I know, I just said in the pro section that I didn’t have to get any fancy equipment, but if you’re starting out with nothing, you will need to get a few things. A couple of hand weights, resistance bands, a pilates ball, and an exercise ball will cover everything. You can buy them separately or get the MuTu Kit Bag at the MuTu store.
- It’s not cheap. This, to me, is the only real drawback to the program. The complete 12-week program is $97 and is the main reason I put it off for so long.
**Update: MUTU System increased their prices as of January 2018. The program is now $194 (with an option to pay it in installments).
How Effective Is It?
Here are my “Before” and “After” shots:
While I’m still not quite back to “normal,” and my diastasis recti isn’t completely closed (which from my research I have learned may never happen) I have seen a huge improvement in my tummy appearance, my core strength, and my pelvic floor function.
**Update: 1 Year Postpartum —
Here are a few of the results I gained from completing the program:
- Noticeably flatter stomach (though I’m not completely there yet)
- Healthier eating habits of (mostly) real food
- Improved posture and alignment
- SIGNIFICANTLY stronger core – this is by far the best benefit from the program. I may not have a perfectly flat stomach, and I might not ever again, but I can feel the difference in my core. Which has led to …
- Less hip, back, shoulder, and neck pain. A stronger core means a stronger body!
- More toned thigh muscles
- A firmer, higher tush (one of Levon’s favorite effects of the program 😉 )
- Greater strength and endurance in my other workouts – After completing several weeks of the MuTu System, I could feel a drastic difference when I returned to some of my regular workouts.
- Improved pelvic floor function – after Andrew’s birth, I could hardly get through a workout without stopping for a potty break, and moderate-high impact moves were out of the question. (Sorry for the TMI – just being real with you!) After several weeks of the MuTu System, I noticed an improvement in that area, as well. It’s going to take more than a 12-week program to get me back on a trampoline any time soon, but I can at least jog and do jumping jacks again!
- As for the “more enjoyment during intimate activities” … I’m not going to comment on that… but let’s just say, they’re not lying. 😉
My official 12 weeks are over, but I’m not saying goodbye to the program. I’m incorporating more of my regular workouts that I know and love back into my weekly schedule, but I plan to continue the exercises and stretches for a while yet. I’ve seen a huge improvement, but I know I’m not quite where I want to be yet. Also, there’s still another future little Mullen baby left in our hearts and plans, so I want to make sure my core is back to a strong and healthy state before then.
Is It Worth the Money?
This is the question that I’ve been asking myself over and over the past few weeks, as I knew this review was approaching.
To be honest with you, I’m finding it difficult to objectively answer that since I received the program for free.
I don’t know for sure if I would have felt it was worth the money if I had shelled out a hundred bucks for it. I honestly don’t know. So, instead of a definitive answer, here are a few things I do know:
- It’s a really awesome program, and I am 100% glad I did it.
- I saw great results from it.
- There are LOTS of exercises and information for and about a diastasis recti available online for free.
- That kind of format was not working for me.
- I needed someone to tell me exactly what to do and guide me through the process, which this did.
- The knowledge I gained about real food and healthy eating habits started me on a real food journey that I am extremely thankful for and from which I have benefitted greatly.
- The “Science Classes” alone were invaluable to me.
Would I Recommend It?
Here’s my bottom line – If you’re strapped for cash and barely paying your bills, then no, don’t spend your money on the MUTU System. Look around online for some free (or at least cheaper) resources. But definitely do put in the time and effort to fix your diastasis recti, if you have one! It’s really not something you want to ignore or exacerbate.
However, if you can, I would definitely say that it’s worth fitting into your budget. The program makes it easy and convenient to strengthen your core the right way. You don’t have to spend your precious time hunting down the information you need, and you don’t have to worry about doing the “wrong” moves (and yes, there are popular exercises that will actually make your diastasis worse!!). Everything you need is all in one place, and the community you can join is an awesome way to get some accountability and support.
Resources & Important Links
If you’re interested in learning more about the MuTu System and the different programs it has to offer, click on the link below.
Learn More About The MuTu System
If this all sounds great and you’re ready to take the plunge, you can do that, too!
If you think you might have a diastasis recti, here’s a test to see:
Do I Have a Diastasis Recti?
To learn why crunches are actually one of the WORST things you can do for your “Mummy Tummy”, click on the link below:
Crunches & a Diastasis Recti
Thank you so much for joining me on this journey! I have appreciated the empathy and support from some of my readers who have been there, done that!
And if you’re in the position I was a few months ago, don’t fret! Your core can and will be strong again, with the right exercises and knowledge. Let me know if that’s you – I would love to cheer you on!
You Might Also Like:
- What Hip Pain is Teaching Me About Pregnancy & Pride
- My All-Time Favorite Workouts for Busy Moms
- My Epic List of Tips for a Fabulous Pregnancy
- My Goals for A Healthier New Year!