Today I’m going to share a post with you that is maybe one of the most humbling and embarrassing posts I’ve ever done.
Why is it so humbling?
Because I’m about to show the entire world (or the portion of it that reads The Merry Momma, anyway ? ) the inside of my microwave. And it is not pretty!
I gotta be honest. I’m no Mrs. Clean. I won’t be winning any housekeeping awards anytime soon, and cleaning is not very high on my list of things I’d like to be doing. In fact, it’s darn near the bottom.
(Read about how I’m learning not to hate it here!)
I have improved tremendously in this area, and I like to think I now keep a tidy enough home for my family to be comfortable, which is my goal! I have some pretty effective routines going, and I’ve established some good habits and disciplines. (Thanks in large part to the changes I made in my evenings!) I’ve achieved my goal of keeping a house that doesn’t totally embarrass me when we have unexpected visitors … most of the time. ?
That being said, there are still a few places that I am just not good about cleaning. #1 on that list – the microwave!! I’ve gotten pretty good at keeping a clean kitchen now, but that darn microwave is always a disaster!
I think the problem is that I’m such an out-of-sight-out-of-mind person (something I learned about myself from reading Jill Savage’s book Better Together). If I don’t see the mess, I simply don’t think to clean it! And most of the time, the microwave door is shut, therefore blocking out the mess. Out of sight, out of mind.
When I open it to use it, I am then reminded, “Oh Lisa, you really need to clean this microwave!” However, at that moment, I’m always right in the middle of cooking and can’t stop to clean. The food gets cooked, the door gets shut, and we’re right back to out of sight.
All that is to say … my microwave gets bad. Like, I’m too embarrassed to even tell you how many weeks’ worth of splatters is caked on that baby. And I cannot believe I’m about to show you pictures of my messy microwave.
However, I’m humbling myself for the good of the cause. Because I’m about to share with you THE easiest way to clean even the messiest of microwaves. I ran across this method a few weeks ago, and I thought, “Where have you been all my (adult) life?”
I hope it helps you as much as it did me!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups Water
- 2 T vinegar
- One drop lemon essential oil (to mask the vinegar smell. You can also squeeze juice from a lemon.)
- Sponge or cloth (or both, like I did)
How to Clean Your Microwave Like Magic
- Fill a microwavable bowl with the water and vinegar. Add a drop of lemon essential oil.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and run it on high for 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for 3 more minutes to allow the steam to continue to work its magic.
- Carefully remove the bowl (it will be hot!).
- Remove the turntable and wash it in the sink.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave. All that food and gunk will come right off! I seriously couldn’t believe how easy it was!
All my Felix-type friends out there who already have pristine microwaves, I hope I didn’t turn you off of The Merry Momma completely. 😉 At the very least, you now have a quicker way to clean your already-clean appliance!
But for my fellow Oscars out there, know that you are not alone and that you CAN keep a (reasonably) clean house! Using tricks like this one, you’ll be amazed at the difference in your home.
Check out these other How-To posts!
- How to Create a Menu Plan That Works For You
- How to Survive the Monotony
- How to Make the Perfect Pickles
- How to Make the Best Peaches Ever
- How to Make Your Own Salsa That Rocks