Want to encourage your kids’ writing skills (and have fun doing it)? Try out these creative writing prompts for kids – my kids have had a BLAST turning these into dramatic and delightful stories!
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
If you haven’t picked up on it yet, I’m a BIG reader and writer. And I LOVE that all three of my kids seem to have been bitten by the same literary bug. I try to encourage it any and every way I can!
One of the (many) ways I do that is by giving them creative writing prompts to craft compelling stories. Sometimes these stories are written down, but usually they’re spoken aloud at this point (since my younger two kids are 6 and 4). Which is just fine! Not only is it good for my two little pre-writers, but it leads to lots of family fun as we create stories together. (Pro Tip: It’s FANTASTIC for times of waiting and traveling in the car!)
Want to encourage your kids’ writing skills (and have fun doing it)? Try out these creative writing prompts for kids – we’ve had a BLAST turning these into dramatic and delightful stories!
20 Creative Writing Prompts For Kids
Spark your kids’ imaginations and sharpen their writing skills by giving them creative writing prompts to build on. Whether written down or spoken aloud, these fun and interesting prompts will produce captivating collections of stories AND hours of educational entertainment! What’s not to love about that??
Take a fun and playful approach to writing practice with these creative writing prompts for kids. They’ll love turning them into short stories, personal essays, or even full-length books!
- Write a story about life in the year 2563.
- A giant box has been delivered on your doorstep with your name on it. You open it and…
- Write a story using these 5 words: bird, king, piano, elbow, stars
- Imagine someone shrunk you down to only 1″ tall. Describe what you would see and do.
- A strange spaceship just crashed and landed in your backyard. What happens next?
- While shopping one day, you find a mannequin who looks just like you. What is going on?
- Write a story about a family that can travel in time.
- You’re tending what you think is an ordinary garden, when suddenly…
- You find out that your teacher used to be a…
- Write a story from your pet’s perspective.
- You wake up one morning and find a mermaid in your bathtub. How did it get there? What do you do?
- Invent a new type of transportation for the future. How does it work? Where do you take it first?
- Imagine that pets take over the world! What do they make the humans do?
- You come home from school one day to find that your entire house has disappeared! What is going on?
- In the back of your closet you find a mysterious…
- You wake up one morning to discover that you don’t know who or where you are!
- Instead of the pizza you ordered, the delivery man brings you something you never expected…
- You’ve just been transported to a magical world. What happens next?
- As you’re cleaning out the garage one day, you find an old, mysterious map. Where does it lead, and what happens when you follow it?
- You and your family are camping in the woods, when all of a sudden…
Further fuel your kids’ writing fire by providing them with plenty of composition notebooks, blank books, pens & pencils. For more creative writing prompts for kids, check out these books or get a set of Story Cubes.
Want More Fun Educational Resources Like This?
Did you love these creative writing prompts for kids? Wish you could have more FUN learning resources like this one?
Your wish is my command! This list of creative writing prompts for kids is just one of the many resources in the Super Summer Learning Kit. This toolkit is packed with tools, strategies, and practical ideas to keep kids learning in a fun and interesting way throughout the summer (and beyond!).
It covers all the major subject areas, including reading, writing, math, science, social studies, art and music, and even health/exercise! Each section includes a list of practical ways to cultivate those specific skills + activities and tools for further brain-building fun.
Want to know more about the Super Summer Learning Kit? Check it out here!
Ready to take the plunge? (It’ll be the best – and probably cheapest – investment you’ll make in your kids all summer!) Go straight to The Merry Momma shop!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 20 Summer Learning Activities (That Aren’t Worksheets!)
- The Best STEM Toys & Activities for Kids
- 50 Things for Kids to Do When They’re Bored
- 7 Ways to Raise Lifelong Readers
- 10 Screen-Free Educational Activities