On the hunt for good movies to watch as a family? Check out this list of some of our favorite (animated AND non-animated) family movies!
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
Sunday nights are treasured at our house, something we all look forward to each week. Why? It’s Family Movie Night!
Every Sunday, almost without fail, we eat supper and popcorn in the living room while watching a fun family movie. It has become a cherished family rhythm and an “anchor” in our week.
As much as we love it, however, there’s one part of family movie night that sometimes stirs up conflict – picking out the movie. With three kids ranging in age from 3 to 8, it can be difficult to find movies that are appropriate for everyone and that we all enjoy. So, when we find them, we celebrate!
If you’re on the hunt for more movies to watch as a family, check out this list of some of our favorites!
30+ Movies to Watch as a Family
A few things I want to note before getting to our list:
- Our kids are currently 3, 5, and 8, so we’re watching movies with young kids. However, many of these movies could be enjoyed by older kids, as well!
- While many of our favorite family movies are animated, I also included quite a few non-animated ones for those who prefer live-action.
- There are tons of other great family movies out there, and I have several on my list I want to show my kids (Babe, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe…). But in this list, I only included movies we have actually seen.
Now, here is our list of favorite movies to watch as a family:
Animated Family Movies
- Peter Rabbit 1 & 2
- Paddington 2 (Our kids prefer the second one. The first one was a bit too scary for them.)
- Rio 2 (Again, they prefer the second one, for the same reason.)
- Rescuers Down Under (And yet again… they prefer this one over the first Rescuers. Same reason.)
- Meet the Robinsons
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Inside Out
- The Lorax
- Happy Feet 1 & 2
- How to Train Your Dragon (We’re also enjoying the book series, and the kids love the Race to the Edge series on Netflix)
- Ice Age (all of them)
- Charlotte’s Web (1973 version)
Non-Animated Family Movies
- Swiss Family Robinson (This one may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but our kids LOVE it. I got the movie for them after reading the book together was such a hit, especially with our oldest.)
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Mary Poppins & Mary Poppins Returns
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins (very different from the book, but we loved them both!)
- Snow Dogs
- Ramona and Beezus (we loved the Ramona book series!)
- Cool Runnings (**Important note: There is some mild language in this one)
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (one of our favorite read-aloud books, as well! Side note: Our kids did not like the Johnny Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory version. They thought it was too creepy, though we did notice that it follows the book better.)
- Yes Day (Netflix)
- Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium
- Charlotte’s Web (2006 version)
- Dolphin Tale 1 & 2
- Annie (If you haven’t seen this, or it has been a while, a heads-up that there are 2-3 instances of d**n towards the end and excessive drinking by Miss Hannigan. You could skip over her scenes or, like we did, discuss how her drunkenness affects her character and decision-making.)
- The Mighty Ducks (all of them, but more so 1 & 2 **Important note: I think there is some mild language in these, as well)
- Dennis the Menace
- Night at the Museum
- Parent Trap
- Cheaper by the Dozen
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
SHARE WITH US: I would LOVE to hear some of your family’s favorite movies to watch together. Share them in the comments below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 5 Ways to Maximize Your Family Time
- 7 Ways to Build a Loving Family
- 50 Family Conversation Starters
- 30 Scriptural Prayers For Your Family