When we recognize and appreciate the importance of what a mom does, we’re filled with new motivation, fresh determination, and a fiery passion to fulfill our callings. With that in mind, let this post be a reminder to you of the beautiful, sacred work you’re doing as a mom!
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
For the past few years, my blog posts have been primarily pragmatic. “How to” do this… “5 ways to” do that. I love sharing practical, hands-on tips and tools to make motherhood a little easier, better, and more enjoyable.
But today, I want to mix it up with a little pure encouragement. Because gosh. Motherhood is crazy hard, and sometimes we just need a little pep in our step and wind in our sails.
One reason (of many) it becomes so hard is we tend to undervalue the work we’re doing. We forget just how important we are and why what we do matters. And that quickly leads to mom burnout, joylessness, and discontent.
When we recognize and appreciate the worth of our role as moms, however, we’re filled with new motivation, fresh determination, and a fiery passion to fulfill our callings.
With that in mind, let this post be a reminder to you of the beautiful, sacred work you’re doing as a mom.
What a Mom Does For Her Kids
While by no means an exhaustive list, here are 20 life-giving, world-changing, impactful things a mom does:
- produces and sustains life, whether from her own body or someone else’s
- meets basic needs for survival (no small feat in itself!)
- comforts physical and emotional wounds and guides the healing process
- trains her children in all manner of behaviors, practices, and character traits through instruction and guided practice
- cheerleads them through every endeavor, attempt, and undertaking and tirelessly champions their cause
- nurtures growth and development with attentive, tender care
- teaches a host of lessons and skills they’ll need for a purposeful life
- strengthens their resolve and confidence in their ability to succeed
- listens to their hearts and minds, providing a valuable sounding board as they wrestle with life’s questions
- meets emotional needs for love, security, and attention
- equips her children for their futures
- exposes them to new things, broadening their horizons and helping them make sense of the world
- enriches their lives with fun, learning, and laughter
- oversees their spiritual and academic education
- guides them through life’s peaks and valleys, detours and deserts
- establishes the spiritual foundation on which they will build their faith
- loves unconditionally, cultivating fragile sprouts into flourishing blossoms
- coaches and advises as her kids learn to make wise decisions
- models positive interpersonal relationships and conflict resolution
- sets the tone for the home and family
That is just a short list of what a mom does, but there is so much more! What stood out to you most from this list, or what would you add? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 10 Life-Giving Mom Affirmations (When You Feel Like a Failure)
- 6 Steps to Freedom From Mom Guilt
- 10 Things I Know For Sure About Motherhood
- Am I a Good Mom? 10 Things All Good Moms Do