Quality time is vital to parent-child relationships, and “mommy & me” activities are a great way to spend it. Here are 30 fun activities you can do with your kids, as well as some top tips for making the most of your time together.
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
“To a child, love is spelled T-I-M-E.”
This well-known quote succinctly states the importance of spending quality time with our kids. There’s just no shortcut to deep, lasting relationships. As with any important relationship, you have to spend time together to build connections, develop trust, and deposit in their love banks.
“Mommy & Me” activities are a great source of quality time, but it can be difficult to come up with ideas of things to do together.
Here are 30 fun activities you can do with your kids, as well as some top tips for making the most of your time together.
Benefits of “Mommy & Me” Activities
“Mommy & Me” activities are a great way to…
- Build connections
- Form lasting bonds
- Deposit in your kids’ love banks
- Invest in your future relationships
- Nurture healthy development
- Teach & train
Tips for Quality “Mommy & Me” Time
- Schedule the time.
Mom life is busy, and you have a lot going on. Incorporate time with your kids into your schedule and put it in your planner, if necessary!
- Relax about the particulars
“Mommy & Me” time is all about spending time together. It’s not as important what you’re doing as that you’re doing it together.
- Let them lead
As much as possible, let your kids take the lead. Let them make some choices about what you do and where you go, and let them do their thing (within reasonable boundaries) once you get there.
- Have patience
Anything you do with young kids is going to require extra time and extra patience. Allow plenty of time in your schedule and go into it with a flexible mindset.
- View it as an investment
Yes, it takes time, and yes, you’re going to mentally run through a list of no less than 100 other things you could be doing. But this time is valuable and important, so choose to see it as the investment that it is in your children and family.
- Give your undivided attention
Put away your phone, turn off the TV, and ignore your to-do list during this time. Focus on your kids and give them your undivided attention.
30 Ideas for “Mommy & Me” Activities
- Read, read, read! (Here are 9 tips for reading to your kids!)
- Attend a story hour
- Pick out books at the library
- Visit the zoo
- Participate in a toddler music class
- Go to a children’s museum
- Sort toys by color, shape, or function
- Find treasures on a nature scavenger hunt
- Watch a documentary or educational YouTube video
- Construct with your favorite building toys
- Assemble a puzzle
- Make a craft
- Dress-up in costumes
- Blow bubbles (I highly recommend these bubble buckets for little ones!!)
- Build a fort
- Visit a playground
- Color or paint (Color Wonder products are the BEST for toddlers)
- Watch a movie or TV show
- Wash dishes together (they can play in the water while you wash)
- Bake cookies
- Fold laundry (give them easy items to “fold”)
- Include them in your favorite hobby
- Teach them a new skill
- Take a walk together
- Play a sports game
- Do a “Mommy & Me” workout (Bodyfit by Amy has some good ones!)
- Swim together
- Ride bikes or pull them in a bike trailer (we’ve loved our Thule!)
- Have a dance party
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 50+ Indoor/Outdoor Independent Play Ideas for Kids
- 25 Outstanding Podcasts for Kids
- 25+ Tips for Gardening With Kids
- 10 Ways to Survive Tantrums (Without Losing Your Mind or Joy)