Muslin baby products can be a bit pricey, causing them to be overlooked by many budget-conscious parents. But here are 7 reasons muslin baby products are worth the money and why you should buy them!
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
When my second baby was drooling non-stop and I went through literally dozens of baby bibs, I found the muslin ones were some of my favorites.
(You can read about all my top-rated bibs here. I tried every kind you could think of!)
When he was a little older, I received a set of bamboo muslin baby blankets to review, and he LOVED them! (Those blankets are no longer available, but here is a comparable set.)
And now, after having our third baby almost a year ago, I have become a HUGE fan of muslin baby products.
Yes, they are more expensive than other fabrics, I’m not going to lie. But they are well worth the money! And I’ll give you 7 reasons muslin baby products are the best.
But first… what is muslin?
What is muslin?
Muslin is an open weave fabric traditionally made with cotton. It is durable, absorbent, and breathable.
Bamboo muslin, an alternative to cotton muslin, has all the benefits of cotton muslin, but is even softer, more absorbent, and heat-regulating than cotton. It’s also more environmentally-friendly.
Both cotton and bamboo muslin, however, have many benefits that make it ideal for baby products.
7 Reasons Muslin Baby Products are Awesome
- Muslin is suuuuper soft — the more you wash it, the softer it gets!
- It’s breathable — unlike other fabrics that trap baby’s body heat, muslin’s weave allows heat to escape and fresh air to enter
- It’s easy on sensitive skin — our middle child has sensitive skin, and he had a terrible time with eczema as a baby. Muslin was one of the best fabrics for his delicate skin, especially his flare-up-prone face.
- It’s durable — it holds up well to prolonged use and countless washes – a must for busy parents!
- It’s highly absorbent — perfect for feeding and mopping up messes! (I also use it to wipe runny baby noses because it’s much less irritating on their sensitive noses!)
- It’s naturally stretchy — great for swaddling, as it’s not overly restrictive
- It’s versatile — simple muslin squares can be used for so many different things. Read on for some examples!
10 Baby Products You Can Use Muslin For
Muslin is an ideal fabric for these everyday baby care items:
- Blankets & Quilts
- Lovies — I LOVE that this one comes in a 2-pack. That’s genius (because we all know the panic of losing a lovie!)
- Nursing covers
- Spit up rags
- Sun shade
- Crib sheets
- Wash cloths
- Diapers (if you’re in a pinch or feeling adventurous!)
If you’re expecting or have a baby, I highly recommend investing in some muslin squares or products. You won’t regret it!
Save money by adding them to your Amazon baby registry! Even if no one buys them for you or you’re not having a shower, you can save 10% (15% for Prime members) on anything on your list!
And if you’re not expecting but know someone who is — they would make a perfect baby gift!
More Must-Have Baby Items:
- The Best Bibs for Heavy Droolers
- Bumbo vs. Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat: Which One is Better?
- Best Babywearing: Baby Carrier vs. Baby Wrap
- Breastfeeding Essentials: What Every Nursing Mom Needs
Share your thoughts!