Last week, we celebrated a very special day — Aidan turned FIVE!
In honor of his special day, I’d like to carry on a tradition I started a couple of years ago — sharing a list of his favorite things!
And now it’s time to share the 5-year-old edition of Aidan’s Favorite Things.
My hope through these posts is not only to share a look into Aidan’s life (though that certainly is fun!), but also to give you a few ideas of things your own kids (or grandkids or nieces/nephews, etc.) might enjoy.
Look through my list, then let me know in the comments if you picked up anything new! While you’re there, be sure to tell us about a few of YOUR kids’ current favorites!
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I may receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. Please read my disclosure policy for more details. **
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (He would eat them every single day if I let him!)
- Ice Cream
- Raw veggies, especially baby carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower
- Muffins — this is my everyday go-to recipe! (And this is THE best muffin pan ever!)
- String Cheese
- Spiced Peaches
- This Oatmeal
Aidan is a huge fan of books, in general. (He gets it from his momma!) He loves just about anything we read, so it was hard to choose! But here are some of his absolute favorites:
- Pete the Cat books — Our favorite is Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
- Elephant & Piggie books — Our favorites are Let’s Go For a Drive and I Will Take a Nap
- Pigeon books — Our favorite is The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog
- Lexie the Word Wrangler
- I Dare You Not to Yawn
- There’s a Bison Bouncing on the Bed
- Norman and the Nom Nom Factory
- Beavers Build Lodges (and the rest of the Animal Builders series)
- North American Animals series
- Bedtime Math — He has recently been getting really into these books that his grandma (a retired math teacher) got him for Christmas. We stick to the Wee Ones problems for now, but I love that this book will grow with him for years!
- Growly Trilogy — This series was an absolute favorite for both of us!
- The Ralph Mouse books (Mouse & the Motorcycle, Runaway Ralph, and Ralph S. Mouse)
- Magic Tree House series — There are a couple of these books that we have skipped over, and I am cautious about the magic/enchantress aspect of them. But the history, geography, and anthropology in them are so fun!
- A Bear Called Paddington & More About Paddington — We preferred these on audiobook because, well, Mommy doesn’t do a very good British accent. 😉
- Pup Patrol books from Usborne
- LEGOS — He’s getting into the kits now (with Daddy’s help, of course).
- Magnet Tiles — These keep him entertained longer than any other toy we have. We have a couple of different kinds, but the Playmags are our favorites. They are super strong, and they cost significantly less than the Magformers sets.
- Kinetic Sand — This has been on my last two lists, as well, but it’s still a favorite!
- Magna Doodle
- Dry Erase Easel
- My First Fly Bar — His grandma got him this for Christmas, and it was wonderful this winter when we were snowed in for SO MANY days.
- Thomas the Train tracks
FAVORITE TV SHOWS
- Storybots (Netflix)
- Treehouse Detectives (Netflix)
- Magic School Bus — the old AND new version (Netflix)
- WordGirl (PBSKids)
- Let’s Go, Luna! (PBSKids)
- Wild Kratts (PBSKids)
- Stinky & Dirty (Amazon Prime)
- Pete the Cat (Amazon Prime)
- Team UmiZoomi (Amazon Prime)
- Paddington & Paddington 2
- Thomas & Friends movies
- Peter Rabbit
- The Nut Job
- Happy Feet 1 & 2 — This is another repeat from former lists, but he still loves to watch them (and dance to them)!
- The Star
I need your help! We’ve struggled to find movies that we all enjoy watching together. What are some of your family favorites??
- Practicing writing the words he knows
- Making things from paper, string… and lots of tape
- Exploring outside
- Playing Tic Tac Toe
- Playing Hide-and-seek
- Watching storylineonline.net
- Playing PBSKids games
- Playing YouVersion’s Bible For Kids app
That’s Aidan in a nutshell these days. I hope you enjoyed the peek into his life this past year.
As always, this list was a lot of fun to put together. If you’ve never done anything like this for your kids, I would encourage you to start! It’s so much fun to look back and see what they were into at different ages and to see what has (or hasn’t) changed.
Thanks for reading, and remember to share in the comments a few of the things that your kids are loving these days!
- My 2018 Ultimate Gift Guide: Favorite Books for Kids!
- The Best Brain-Boosting Toys You May be Overlooking
- 5 Children’s Books That Will Inspire Your Kids to Greatness
- 25 Gifts for Preschoolers (That Won’t Be a Waste of Money)