I’ve mentioned on here before that I am not a natural-born cleaner. I know some women who honestly love to clean and it just boggles my mind. I would rather be doing almost anything else than housework. Oh, sure, I love having a clean house, but I just hate the actual process. Tidying? Sure. Organizing? Yes. But actual get-out-your-scrub-brushes cleaning? Nope.
But since when in life do we get to just do the things we like to do? Sometimes we just have to put on our big girl pants and do what needs to be done. I care about creating a nurturing, relaxing, peaceful environment for my family, and part of that means keeping a clean home.
Even though it’s not my favorite thing to do, I have found a few ways to make it much more enjoyable. And I’m convinced that if you use a few of these ideas, you will find that you can actually enjoy housework, too! (Or at the very least, tolerate it!)
**Links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click that link and purchase the product, I will receive a small compensation. I am, however, committed to honestly assessing the products mentioned. My opinions are my true feelings and are not affected by my participation in the program!**
Ways to Make Housework a Bit More Fun
- Put on music – I find that uptempo music works best for putting a little pep in my step while I clean.
- Dance while you clean – I can do this while Aidan’s a toddler. He hasn’t learned to judge my moves yet. ?
- Watch your favorite show or listen to your favorite audiobook – Make it a rule to that you can only watch TV or listen to that gripping audiobook while you’re cleaning. It’s amazing how much longer you’ll be willing to work!
- Make it a race – give yourself a timed challenge.
- Take pride your work – This does wonders for me! When I step back and appreciate all the hard work I just put in and the clean room (that will only stay clean for about 5 minutes … *sigh*), I feel so good about myself!
- Involve your kids – Make it a game! If you make it fun enough, maybe they’ll help you without even realizing that they’re doing housework!
- See the bigger picture – I talk about this in more detail in my Surviving the Monotony post, but looking past the duties and finding the “why” of your housework makes it so much easier. See your housework as a labor of love and submission to Christ rather than a burdensome chore.
- Take before & after pictures – Seeing the difference might help motivate you!
- Look around and take it all in – Look at everything you’ve accomplished and relish in it … while it lasts! 🙂
- Consider the exercise – This was a game changer for me. I’m always looking for more ways to get active, exercise, and get more FitBit steps! Thinking about my housework in terms of the exercise I’m getting keeps me cleaning for a longer time!
- Log your “workout” – Going along with that, did you know that you can log your housework as exercise in your MyFitnessPal?? I don’t know about other activity/food trackers, but I use MyFitnessPal, and I was so excited when I saw that I could actually log my cleaning! That means more calories burned, which means more calories that I can eat that day. ? ? ? Whoo-hoo! If that’s not motivation to get busy cleaning, I don’t know what is!
- Fun cleaners – This might sound silly, but when I started using safer cleaning supplies that smelled nice, it actually made me want to clean!
I discovered Mrs. Meyers products awhile back, and I love them!! They’re made from natural essential oils, so they’re safer for your family than harsh chemical cleaners, and they small AH-Mazing! Seriously, you have to try these cleaners – you will find yourself cleaning everything in sight! I get mine from Grove Collaborative (formerly ePantry), a monthly mail subscription service that is SUPER handy, but you can also get them from www.mrsmeyers.com, on Amazon, or at a number of grocery & housewares stores.
Take my challenge! Try one – or all! – of these 12 ways to make housework a little more fun, and see if it doesn’t make you want to clean! If something on this list works for you, or if you have a suggestion of your own, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear from fellow cleaning un-enthusiasts!
And remember, for more tips, tricks, and encouragement from The Merry Momma, sign up for my weekly email newsletter! Every week I send a helpful little tidbit that’s reserved exclusively for my subscribers. Sign up so you don’t miss out!