When I first got married, I knew next to nothing about cooking. I had barely cooked in the 22 years before I met Levon. However, I knew he was looking for a wife who could cook, so I threw myself into learning everything I could in a very short amount of time. And I scoured all the cooking resources that I could get my hands on.
In the process, I learned that I actually really like to cook! But I had SO much to learn. It was embarrassing how little I knew. I mean, I had to look up how to boil eggs, that’s how ignorant I was in the culinary arts. I couldn’t do anything in the kitchen without a recipe, and even simple steps required a visit to my good friend Google. After awhile, I got tired of looking up the same things over and over, so I looked for handy charts and tables that I could keep close at hand.
To help other women who might be in the same boat I was, or who just want to increase their repertoire of cooking techniques, I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite cooking resources. In the 6 years that I’ve been married now, I’ve grown far beyond googling how to boil eggs, but I still refer to some of these guides on a regular basis. They’re just so handy! I especially love #4. It is full of cooking how-to’s that run the gamut from the most basic of basics to obscure cooking techniques that you only see on Iron Chef! 🙂
Even if you’re already a master chef, keep this list of cooking resources to share with friends, relatives, coworkers, etc. Share it with a new bride you know – it would be a welcome gift, trust me!
So here it is, nine of my favorite websites to help you master cooking basics!
9 Invaluable Resources for Mastering Cooking Basics
- Roasting Vegetables Table:
- Time-Table for Roasting Meat:
- List of basic cooking techniques:
- Master list of cooking techniques: **Awesome-ly comprehensive list!!**
- Common Ingredient Substitutions:
- Choosing the right apple:
(We love apples, and I make a lot of applesauce, so this was a very handy chart for me!)
- Must-Have Kitchen Tools for the Beginner Cook:
- Cooking and Caring For Cast Iron:
- Guide to Stocking Your Pantry:
How long have you been cooking, and how did you learn all your skills? Do you have any favorite books or websites? Share below!
Check out some of these cooking-related posts!
- 10 Simple Ways to Prepare Asparagus
- How to Make Your Own Salsa That Rocks
- How to Make the Best Peaches Ever
- How I Made 11 Freezer Meals in Only 2 Hours!
- How to Create a Menu Plan That Works For You!